For many years now, as space for audio systems has decreased, our customers have continually requested a high performance yet compact center speaker that can fit almost anywhere. Building on the feedback from our Luna mini-monitor, we took that successful design and added a second Luna woofer, thus increasing efficiency. We then tuned the response a bit more like our Horizon slightly favoring midbass over extension compared to the Luna.
We were so impressed with the final result that labeling the speaker as a "center" would limit the Duo's overall usage as these speakers make stunning left/right mains when combined with a subwoofer. They *easily* keep up with speakers significantly larger, providing dynamics, punch, and a soundstage that truly belies their small size.
It was an easy decision to use the same custom RAAL ribbon tweeter used in our Sierra-2, Sierra-2EX and Luna - this tweeter is simply remarkable and has well earned its reputation for being one of the best available.
But the woofer is just as important and taking full advantage of our relationship with SEAS of Norway, they nailed the design for us. We went through more prototypes for this woofer than we have for any other transducer we have ever had made for us.
The Duo woofer features:
- long-throw design for high power handling and extended bass
- exceptionally large magnet system combined with a symmetrical driving force
- specially designed high loss natural rubber surround to improve damping and resonance control, critical for smaller cones.
- SEAS’s exclusive SpiderRing® technology improves suspension alignment for higher long term reliability, improved power handling and improved mechanical linearity
- injection molded cast frame for a stiffer basket frame combined with large windows allowing for less material behind the woofer cone reducing back-wave reflections for enhanced detail, better airflow and less cavity resonance
- vented pole-piece and open spider for enhanced air-flow and cooling, minimizing compression artifacts
- SEAS Curv cone technology that is extremely low mass, stiff, and provides exceptional self-damping
Combined with an advanced crossover and all housed into a stunningly beautiful FEA and advanced 3d CAD designed Made-In-The-USA layered bamboo cabinet, these speakers beg to be both heard and seen!
The Duo has exceptionally wide and linear horizontal dispersion thus it presents a shockingly large and enveloping soundstage, even in large rooms. Its performance belies its small size in such a way that in our many public auditions of the Duo’s, listeners continually throw out comments stating “these speakers sound so much bigger than they are”.
Hand assembled, tested and packaged in the USA, we are so confident of the component and build quality of the Luna that we are backing it by a comprehensive 7 year parts & labor warranty. Left / right pairs are matched by hand to within ± 1dB and we are including a printout of the actual production line response measurements of each speaker. We dare say it, but you simply cannot find this type of quality control, care and pride from products that are fully assembled and tested in overseas manufacturing facilities.
We thank you for your interest!